A skillful manager is able to manage and monitor
effectiveness in such a way that objectives are achieved. A manager should be result - oriented and make the things happen. A successful manager possesses
certain qualities in applying his or her skills and carrying out various
Managerial skills are not necessarily in born and fall into four main groups: technical, interpersonal, conceptual and communication. A successful manager possesses certain quantities in applying his or her skills and carrying out various managerial roles.
The basic skills required to become an effective manager are:
1. Cooperation: Managers must cooperate with his team members and with
other managers at all levels in the organization. He should be able to create
an environment for mutual cooperation & understanding.
2. Duty and Discipline: Manager must understand the
requirements of his job. He must put his self after the service. He must be
well disciplined and he must maintain good discipline in his team.
3. Self Confidence: A manager must have self-confidence.
He should also be able to develop self- confidence in his subordinates.
4. Liveliness: The manager must promote lively
environments in the organization. People should not work like a machine; rather
they should show signs of life through their interaction.
5. Social Adaptability: Manager must be able to adapt
or adjust himself in any type of social environments.
6. Ability to Influence: A manager must be able to
influence his team members and get their willing support.
7. Organizing Ability: A manager must be a good organizer.
He must properly organize the things & events in his area of
8. Initiative: A manager must be proactive. He should
feel his response-ability to take action rather than waiting for others to
9. Speed of Decision: Manager must be quick & sharp
in decision-making. Once a decision is taken, he should go all out to get it
10. Determination: A manager has to be well determined to
achieve his objectives. He should show persistence & steadfastness.
11. Effective Intelligence: A manager must be intelligent both mentally
& emotionally. Emotional intelligence is as important as mental
12. Risk Taking: Manager has to take risks. No risks means no benefit. He should be bold enough to take risks.
13. Power of Expression: Any body who can not express
himself effectively is no good for the organization.
14. Sense of Responsibility: A manager must feel his responsibility as a team player and a team leader.
While all the above skills are important, the relative
importance of each varies according to the level of the manager in the
A positive & proactive retired Major from Pakistan Army. MBA from IBA,Karachi University.Presently, Head of Business Administration Department in Minhaj University, Gulberg Campus, Lahore. Member HR Forums at Lahore, Pakistan.
- Article Word Count: 1114
- Total Views: 2255