Tapping into Dubai’s Hidden Job Market

  • Print Article |
  • Send to a Friend |
  • |
  • Add to Google |

It’s early 2010, and you are looking for a jobs Dubai, one of the most cosmopolitan cities of the world. Dubai always has some opportunities for the aspiring job seeker, whether he or she is experienced or a newbie. But we must also consider the fact that Dubai is a magnet for many job seekers who leave their home countries in search of something better.

Everyone has a sense of urgency and the high cost of living in Dubai makes it difficult for one to stay for an extended period of time without getting any form of employment. So it’s better to prepare as much as you can from home before setting off on your job hunt.

In the modern era you have to be smart when looking for a job whatever field you are in. It is fair to state that you will have some tough competition unless you have some experience in your chosen field after having completed the required qualifications for the same.

It is wise to look at online jobs being advertised in Dubai and also elsewhere in the Gulf for the kind of qualifications and experience they are looking for there. If your qualifications and experience match what they require, you stand a better chance of getting a job. In some cases you can also post your job online through websites targeted towards employers and through which you stand better chances than simply replying to ads in a newspaper.

Most likely the latter are seen and replied to by thousands of candidates and it traditionally takes a long time for the interview process to be completed and the final selection to be made. In contrast you might have a better experience and a shorter response time if replying to websites that are targeted towards specific employers.

It may be a lesser known fact, but it is nevertheless true that while 25 percent of all jobs get advertised in the media or over the internet, the rest i.e. 75 percent of the jobs are filled through personal contacts. In other words networking through your friends or former co-workers employed in Dubai can get you employed faster and with greater chances of success.

Sometimes these jobs are not even advertised in the media so this means that if you are good enough to meet the requirements of the job you can be selected without any competition whatsoever. This is the best break you can hope for and you can put forth your salary requirements on a more personal level. As you are not competing with others for the position and have hopefully also demonstrated your skills to the employer in a test or interview, you have a better chance of success altogether.

Let us say that you want to direct your entire search towards the 75 percent of opportunities that constitutes the hidden job market. How should you search for work in this area? To be successful here you will need to

(1) research the employment scene and firms of interest in your area of work;

(2) once you have identified them conduct some research to find out more about the management, products and services produced and sold;

(3) the key managers and the vision they have for the future of the firm;

(4) structure, staff, location of head office, branches or other outlets nearest to you;

(5) prepare your resume for positions you can fill easily inside the organization and for which there is a vacancy; and

(6) send your resumes to the key persons in the department and not to Human Resources.

If the firm where you are pursuing employment opportunities uses the services of an HR recruitment firm, you can try approaching them and telling them to forward your resume after you have convinced them of your skills and expertise.

Dubizzle is one of more widely read blog sites across the Gulf. It can be an important source of information for the aspiring job seeker, and tells of the customs and traditions and way of life in Dubai. So give us a click whether you are looking at job websites Abu Dhabi or job websites Dubai and see how the information we have can help you in your job search.

Rate this Article:
  • Article Word Count: 699
  • |
  • Total Views: 13
  • |
  • permalink
  • Print Article |
  • Send to a Friend |
  • |
  • Add to Google |
>