The Best Dry Cat Food Recipes
While feeding your cat a moist homemade cat food is the best way to go health-wise, there are times you might want to feed best dry cat food. The best dry cat food is still homemade cat food , but because it is baked in small batches with good ingredients, the quality is better. Dry kibble is most useful for two reasons:
1. Dental health: Hard snack-sized morsels are good for kitty's dental health, especially if you don't feed homemade raw cat food. Just wet cat food alone doesn't scrape food off your cat's teeth. Supplementing the homemade wet cat food with homemade best dry cat foods is one way to assist this issue.
2. Convenience: Dry cat foods can be the easiest way to go when your pet must be boarded or when you need to travel. Combine this with a pre-prepared wet cat food is the ideal.
Homemade best dry cat food cannot be made in large batches. This food is made in small amounts and stored in airtight containers to preserve freshness. But, the best part about it is that you can continually rotate the kibble you choose to make, thus providing your cat with a variety of ingredients and protein sources. Here is a recipe option for best dry cat food. This could also be used as treats:
Kibbles for Cats
Recipe Credit ((stretcher.com/stories/03/03jan27a.cfm)
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups soy flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup non fat milk
½ cup brewer's yeast
1 (15 ounce) can mackerel
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cod liver oil
2 cups of water or as needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, mash the mackerel into small pieces. Mix in the oil and water. Add the mackerel mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. The dough is tough, so use your hands. Roll dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 1/4-inch bits, using a knife or pizza cutter. Mound the bits onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 25 minutes. During baking, occasionally toss the bits with two wooden spoons, so they brown evenly. Turn the heat off and allow the treats to cool thoroughly before removing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This cat food recipe freezes very well for longer storage. To make other varieties of best dry cat food, you simply vary the grains used, the proteins, and even add in small amount of vegetables. Keep in mind the moisture content of your ingredients to adjust the levels of dry to wet ingredients. Some ideas for different kibble mixtures:
* Replace cornmeal or some of the other flours with higher value grains like ground oat flour, barley, or brown rice flour.
* Add in small amounts of puréed vegetables (even baby food ones) in place of small amounts of water.
* Add an egg or two. This helps bind the ingredients together and adds beneficial protein.
* Change the proteins! You shouldn't use fish all the time. Add in other meats like ground turkey or chicken.
* Replace some of the oil with applesauce for a fruit choice.
The key is to cook the best dry cat food at a lower oven temperature to FULLY dry out the food. Keep the pieces very small and don’t crowd the pan.
The best dry cat food is one that still looks at the nutritional needs of a cat. Ideally, dry cat food won’t be the major component of your cat’s diet, as it is still too high in carbohydrates, but when used in moderation, can be a good addition.
To learn more about the best dry cat food and other homemade cat food recipes visit http://www.catfoodrecipesonline.com
- Article Word Count: 635
- Total Views: 31