Communication can Save Your Marriage
What is the main reason for the breakdown in marriages? Lack of communication. Learning to communicate properly is the key to saving any troubled marriage.
When a husband/wife stops telling his partner what is going through his mind, or when they refuse to resolve issues, then this means that the marriage is in trouble.
Lack of communication is also the main cause of an affair taking place. One partner seeking comfort or an listening ear from someone else, because it is perceived that this cannot be obtained at home.
Marriages take work, commitment and lots of sacrifice. It is no longer me, but we, and once this is understood then that's one step closer to a happy marriage.
Here are five steps to improve communication in a marriage.
- Talk all the time. Ask each other how the day was, how was work, what did you do today, how are you feeling, how are the kids, what did they do today. Express yourself to your spouse. Say what and how you feel and do this everyday.
- Spend time together. Today when both spouses work, time spent together is limited. But to preserve the relationship it is critical that time be found to bond and nurture the relationship. You can do this by doing chores together, eating dinner together, watching television together or reading to each other in the evenings before going to bed.
- Be comfortable in silence. Communication does not always have to be verbal. If you find there are times when there is nothing to be said, then just touch, feel and hold each other. Intimacy is an integral component is a marriage and this communicates the love that is felt for each other.
- Resolve issues. If there is a problem that needs to be resolved then tackle it head on. Don't leave it to fester and thereby allow resentment to creep in.
- Seek counselling. If communication has broken down so badly that the above tips are not enough to help, then go to a marriage counsellor or a priest or pastor. They can provide you with the necessary tools you need to turn your relationship around and save your marriage.
- Article Word Count: 353
- Total Views: 221