Better Time Management at the Workplace - 7 Effective Tips
Time management is essentially doing the right thing at the right time. Here are the 7 tips to manage your time effectively:
1. Be organized: Organize your files, schedules, desk and notes in an orderly way so that you don't waste time looking for things. When you spend some time to set up your repetitive procedures and routine work you eventually save a lot of time on a daily basis.
2. Planning ahead: With proper planning you stimulate your brain with better and more efficient way of doing things. Planning also helps to identify possible conflicts and crisis and reduces the chances of emergency tasks.
3. Set priorities: Remember the rule of 80:20. 80 % of your results comes from 20% of your effort. Do the most important things first.
4. A to-do list: Organize your daily to-do list according to your priorities. A to-do list helps you to focus on the right things to do. The other plus point is that when you check off these things that you have completed it gives you a sense of accomplishment. Preferably prepare a to-do list in the evening for the following day. When you go to bed you know you have already organized your work well for the following day.
5. Delegation: Delegate more routine job so that you have more time to do what is important for your long term success. The time saved also allows you to handle interruptions such as emergencies.
6. Eliminate procrastination: There is a tendency to clear small tasks before doing the big things. Do the opposite by forcing yourself to take on the major issues first, this will help eliminate procrastination.
7. Get rid of time wasters: Here are some of them:
* You waste time by doing the less important work first
* Doing things that can be delegated
* Conducting unnecessary meetings, visits or phone calls.
* Start a job without proper planning.
* Handling paperwork more than once. The moment you pick up a document decide what you want to do with it and do it once and for all and move on to the next.
When you have managed your time well you work under less pressure and you will be happier at work.
Charles Chua C K devotes his time to writing articles about his past experiences relating to health, career, money, home, relationships, education, happiness, Feng Shui, writing and more. The aim of his articles is to share useful tips about life with his readers. Please visit his blog at allaboutlivingwithlife.blogspot.com
- Article Word Count: 365
- Total Views: 10154